Making your relationship last is the goal of every couple. However, since couples are individuals with different needs and values, this goal may prove to be a real challenge.
To be able to stop a relationship from withering, it is important to really be proactive and do everything you can to make your connection strong.
Keep the tips below in mind next time you start to feel your relationship drying up a bit.
Download This One Powerful Tip to Instantly Deepen Your Commmunication
10 Tips to Keep Your Relationship Strong
1. Communication. Quality communication is the lifeblood of every relationship. Discuss your feelings rather than the events. Intimacy is built by emotions, not by being objective.
It is important to keep an open line of communication. Always be honest to your partner. Tell your partner the dreams and fears you harbor as well as share your triumphs and failures. Open up about the people you feel attracted to and possible temptations at work. This will help keep you from acting on them.
2. Compromise. You cannot have what you want 100 percent of the time. A relationship requires that you meet each other halfway. When conflicts arise, you need to come up with a solution that satisfies you both. If you insist on doing things your way, your partner may develop ill feelings toward you.
3. Care. Of course, expressing your love is vital. Showing your man or woman how much you care through your actions is the ultimate expression of love. Cooking his or her favorite meal or buying gifts which you know she or he will love – these are all expressions of love.
4. Challenge each other. Total acceptance is a myth. The ultimate purpose of every person is to grow. If you care for the person, then it is good to make some reasonable demands. For instance, if your husband sits in front of the tv all day, it is your obligation to challenge him to be more productive.
5. Avoid parasitism. The couple cannot morph into one person. After you marry or commit yourself to each other, that does not mean that you have to share every like, dislike, interest, activity and viewpoint. The reason why a person falls in love with you to begin with is your uniqueness. Do not lose your identity.
6. Independence. Do not devote your life to your partner. Total unselfish devotion can be very boring. Your partner does not need a housekeeper or a driver but someone who can stimulate and challenge him or her.
7. Create a rewarding life for yourself. It is important to cultivate a life of your own. When your partner can smell that you do not rely on him or her, they will treat you with respect. Have objectives and work towards them. If your partner cheats, better lose the man than lose your sanity.
8. Do not make the kids the center of your universe. Your and your partner’s life need not revolve around the kids alone. Make sure that your wife or husband does not feel alienated or less important.
9. Alone time. Find time for just the two of you. This will give you necessary respite from the kids, work and friends.
10. Make friends with happy couples who do not cheat. The friends you have will determine, to a huge extent, the kind of person you are. Having positive role models will keep you on the right track.
Note from Dustin: I think most of the points made here by Kelly are spot on, but I have a feeling some of these statements may strike a nerve with you. I look forward to hearing your thoughts in the comments!
This article was written by Kelly Austin from HigherSalary.com. Visit her site for information about the average administrative assistant salary and pay information for other popular careers.