Welcome to week 7 of the challenge, and Happy Valentine’s Day! This week I want to focus on just how important communication is to success in all areas of our lives. Let’s see if I can communicate my thoughts effectively… 🙂
Think About Your Areas of Success
When I take some time to reflect on my life and identify areas where I have been successful, I can quickly see that good communication is a key to success. In my career as a consulting engineer, it’s not math or even reason that sets apart the best engineers and companies. Nope, it’s the ability to convey complex ideas in understandable terms both in person and in written form.
Engaged Marriage has a lot of growing to do to meet my goals for this site and its reach to married couples throughout the world. However, I think it’s fair to say that our first 5+ months here have been quite successful. Obviously, the content is critical for the success of any blog.
But I think the real growth of Engaged Marriage has been fueled by the sense of community that we’ve developed as well as my own efforts in reaching out through social media to colleagues and perspective readers. I think the recent Love Everyday project provides a good example of this approach. And it all comes down to a commitment to consistent and effective communication.
The same cause-and-effect exists for most aspects of life: finances, parenting, sports, politics, sales, even war. High-quality communication is a certain key to success.
And, oh yeah, communication plays a bit of a role in this whole marriage thing as well. 🙂
This week’s book giveaway is centered around the idea that understanding how our spouse/significant other best communicates is a major help in achieving the extraordinary in our relationships. That’s what The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate is all about.
While working as a marriage counselor for more than 30 years, Dr. Gary Chapman identified five specific love languages:
- Words of Affirmation
- Quality Time
- Receiving Gifts
- Acts of Service
- Physical Touch
I bet that even without reading the book you can immediately relate to some of these categories. Can you already see which areas you speak best in, and which areas apply to your spouse?
The Five Love Languages will lead you through a fun and rewarding process of discovering the love languages in your marriage. And with that knowledge, you can improve your relationship with your spouse. See what I mean about the importance of great communication?
This Week’s Awesome Prize
This week’s giveaway is another awesome book that has the power to change your life. I highly recommend that you read The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate by Dr. Gary Chapman. It may be the single most important book you can read for your marriage, aside from The Bible.
Just enter your weekly update in the comments below, and you’ll be eligible to win your own copy of The Five Love Languages. Click the link above to read more about this best-selling book and learn what it can do in your life.
Just a short perfunctory reminder: if you are a participant, you must leave a comment below giving an update on your personal progress. Please do so by Tuesday, February 16th at 11:59 p.m. central time to be eligible for this week’s giveaway. If you are not signed up, feel free to leave a comment anyhow and give your thoughts on this week’s post or your own progress…you just won’t be winning any prizes.
And please don’t forget that you must subscribe to Engaged Marriage via either RSS or Email to be eligible for prizes. There is a secret code at the bottom of the post (just above “Related Posts”) that is only visible if you read this post via an RSS reader or in your email. If you are selected but aren’t subscribed (you don’t know the code when I email you), the prize will instead to go the next person drawn.
Last Week’s Lucky Winner
Congratulations to our lucky winner of the Week 6 drawing:
Thanks to This Week’s Awesome Sponsors!
The great prizes being given away throughout the challenge are only possible through the generous support of our sponsors. Please take a few minutes to visit this week’s sponsors and check out what they have to offer.
Personal Finance Notebook is a great site created by Patrenia Spears after her family paid off an incredible $93,000 in debt! Her posts are intended to empower her readers to achieve their financial goals. Her tag line says it all: “A website that offers ideas, education and the motivation needed to create a personal finance portfolio to be proud of.”
Budgets are Sexy is simply awesome. J. Money provides a site that is packed with really useful info about the world of personal finance, and he does it in his own (pimpin’) way. Entertaining and informative.
MomStart is a fantastic resource created by a mother of two who provides an incredible amount of reviews, giveaways and writings related to all of the new things going on in the world of parenting.
Enemy of Debt is the place to be if you want to get out of debt or simply celebrate the goodness that your debt-freedom has brought to your life. Brad is a passionate and informative resource offering a unique perspective on the personal finance scene.
Make Mine Happen “Stop Dreaming and Start Doing” by putting the motivational and informational posts at this site to work in your life!
That’s it from me for Week 7 of the challenge! Look for the final Week 8 post next Sunday. Get your progress stated below, visit our sponsors and communicate with passion this week!
Don’t miss the other Improve Yourself posts…here is a running list:
- Improve Yourself! 2010 Announcement. This is the place to start and sign-up by leaving a comment with your area of focus.
- The Prize List. This is where you’ll get the details about the awesome prizes and learn about our generous sponsors.
- Week 1: Set SMART Goals. Learn about smart goal-setting and leave your specific goals for the challenge in the comments.
- Week 2: Baby Step Your Way to Success. Learn how you can achieve any goal by breaking it down into small, easier-to-handle tasks.
- Week 3: Prioritize Your Time for Progress. Learn the importance of focusing on important, but not urgent, tasks to improve your life and achieve long-term effectiveness.
- Week 4: YOU are Responsible for Your Progress. Quit making excuses, take ownership for your results and do the work necessary to make your goals a reality.
- Week 5: Don’t Be Perfect, Be Remarkable! You do not need to be perfect, you simply need to be remarkable in what you do. Don’t you think you can be remarkable in the way your handle your finances? In your approach to fitness? In your marriage?
- Week 6: Stick With It! I applaud you for sticking with your commitment to yourself and your fellow challenge participants. You are now in the minority as we close in on the finish line. Don’t Quit!
- Week 7: Communicate for Success Communication is a certain key to success in nearly all aspects of life.
- Week 8: Don’t Accept Mediocrity! Always get better even if it’s only in small increments. Life is just too short to do otherwise.