I hope you had an awesome first week in meeting your goals through the Improve Yourself! 2010 challenge! If you are not already signed up for the challenge, you have unfortunately missed the deadline and won’t be eligible for the awesome prizes that are being given away this time around. However, I trust that these weekly posts will offer value to anyone looking to improve their life and their marriage, regardless of whether you are officially part of the contest.
If you are a participant, you must leave a comment below giving an update on your personal progress. Please do so by Tuesday, January 12th at 11:59 p.m. central time to be eligible for this week’s giveaway. If you are not signed up, feel free to leave a comment anyhow and give your thoughts on this week’s post or your own progress…you just won’t be winning any prizes.
Baby Steps are Huge
If you have heard of Dave Ramsey and his financial advice, you are certainly familiar with his Baby Steps for Financial Freedom. My wife and I followed this plan to pay off $58,500 in debt, and we continue to apply these principles in our family financial planning.
The great thing about the “baby step” approach is that it is fully applicable to any area where you want to improve yourself and meet some big goals. Taking baby steps is simply the act of breaking down your overall goal into bite-sized chunks. We took the first step together by identifying our SMART Goals last week.
Each week of this challenge is another baby step in your journey of self-improvement. If your goals are fitness-related, it could be losing one pound, exercising three times this week, or even passing on dessert one evening. Don’t get overwhelmed and discouraged by a larger goal of losing 20 pounds. Just keeping baby-stepping your way toward success each day!
I look forward to hearing about the baby steps you have taken this week. Please leave a comment below letting us know what you did during Week 1 to better yourself.
This Week’s Awesome Prize
This week’s giveaway is a personal favorite of mine and a book that changed my family’s lives. If you want to get your finances in order, pay off debt and “change your family tree”, then you must read The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey.
Just enter your weekly update in the comments below, and you’ll be eligible to win your own (gently-used) copy of The Total Money Makeover. Click the link above to read more about this best-selling book.
And please don’t forget that you must subscribe to Engaged Marriage via either RSS or Email to be eligible for prizes. There is a secret code at the bottom of the post (just above “Related Posts”) that is only visible if you read this post via an RSS reader or in your email. If you are selected but aren’t subscribed (you don’t know the code when I email you), the prize will instead to go the next person drawn.
Last Week’s Lucky Winners
There were three lucky winners in our big first-week kick-off celebration. Congratulations to:
Cassidy who won The Happiness Project
Krystal who won Unclutter Your Life in One Week
Thanks to This Week’s Awesome Sponsors!
The great prizes being given away throughout the challenge are only possible through the generous support of our sponsors. Please take a few minutes to visit this week’s sponsors and check out what they have to offer.
Budgets are Sexy is simply awesome. J. Money provides a site that is packed with really useful info about the world of personal finance, and he does it in his own (pimpin’) way. Entertaining and informative.
Enemy of Debt is the place to be if you want to get out of debt or simply celebrate the goodness that your debt-freedom has brought to your life. Brad is a passionate and informative resource offering a unique perspective on the personal finance scene.
Make Mine Happen “Stop Dreaming and Start Doing” by putting the motivational and informational posts at this site to work in your life!
MomStart is a fantastic resource created by a mother of two who provides an incredible amount of reviews, giveaways and writings related to all of the new things going on in the world of parenting.
That’s it from me for Week 2 of the challenge! Look for the Week 3 post next Sunday. Get your progress stated below, visit our sponsors and go take some more baby steps toward your goals!
Don’t miss the other Improve Yourself posts…here is a running list:
- Improve Yourself! 2010 Announcement. This is the place to start and sign-up by leaving a comment with your area of focus.
- The Prize List. This is where you’ll get the details about the awesome prizes and learn about our generous sponsors.
- Week 1: Set SMART Goals. Learn about smart goal-setting and leave your specific goals for the challenge in the comments.
- Week 2: Baby Step Your Way to Success. Learn how you can achieve any goal by breaking it down into small, easier-to-handle tasks.
- Week 3: Prioritize Your Time for Progress. Learn the importance of focusing on important, but not urgent, tasks to improve your life and achieve long-term effectiveness.
- Week 4: YOU are Responsible for Your Progress. Quit making excuses, take ownership for your results and do the work necessary to make your goals a reality.
- Week 5: Don’t Be Perfect, Be Remarkable! You do not need to be perfect, you simply need to be remarkable in what you do. Don’t you think you can be remarkable in the way your handle your finances? In your approach to fitness? In your marriage?
- Week 6: Stick With It! I applaud you for sticking with your commitment to yourself and your fellow challenge participants. You are now in the minority as we close in on the finish line. Don’t Quit!
- Week 7: Communicate for Success Communication is a certain key to success in nearly all aspects of life.
- Week 8: Don’t Accept Mediocrity! Always get better even if it’s only in small increments. Life is just too short to do otherwise.